Maintaining a healthy, happy relationship is hard work, but the hard work can reap great dividends. Just as our physical bodies go through periods of illness and stress, relationships also go through periods of happiness and periods of stress. It is during the periods of strain where we need endurance. The definition of endurance is the ďability or strength to continue or last, especially despite fatigue, stress, or other adverse conditions.Ē
Here are some ideas for how to develop endurance for the times when your relationship is going through adverse conditions.
- Do the things that work even if you do not have the desire (be kind, communicate openly, spend meaningful time together, etc.). Doing promotes desire.
- Learn and practice new relationship skills consistently.
- Donít catastrophize relationship difficulties. Donít assume that your relationship is doomed just because you are having difficulties. Trust that your partner still loves you and cares about you.
- Be quick to apologize and quick to forgive. Holding on to anger and resentment takes away the energy we need to endure relationship difficulties.
- Associate with people who want to cheer you on and desire to help you have relationship success. This could be a friend, coworker or parent.
- Accentuate the positive. Even during times of stress there are good things that are happening. Try to see them.
- If you are having difficulty enduring relationship difficulties, seek the help of a marriage or couples counselor in Sandy, UT