I have many years of experience helping people work through their relationship struggles, I have a PhD in marriage and family therapy, and I am a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist. To earn the degrees and the state license required nearly a decade of intensive training, education, and experience. Hence, if you work with me, you can know you are getting a true expert in helping with couple relationship issues. For more information on the exclusive marriage and family therapy license, or about what a marriage and family therapist is, click here.
I am a husband and father, and am an advocate for trying to save relationships. I am often featured as a relationship expert on many local television news and radio stations, and in magazines and online columns. I also love art and create artistic photographs as a hobby (www.jonathanswinton.com).
It would be my pleasure to help you with your couple or marriage relationship therapy needs in the Salt Lake City area. Some additional highlights from my experience are listed below:
- PhD: Marriage and Family Therapy, Kansas State University
- MedFT: Medical Family Therapy, University of Nebraska Medical Center
- MS: Marriage and Family Therapy, University of Nebraska
- BFA: Fine Arts, Utah State University
- Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist
- Certified Medical Family Therapist
- Clinical Fellow, American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy
- Utah Association for Marriage and Family Therapy
- National Registry of Marriage Friendly Therapists
- Network of Therapy Professionals, Theravive
Past Work Experience
- Private practice.
- Counselor at numerous outpatient mental health centers, primary care clinics, and a hospital.
- Instructor at Kansas State University.
- Emergency respondent for the Community Abuse Prevention Service Agency.
- Conducted relationship, mental health, and behavior research for Kansas State University, the University of Nebraska, and the University of Nebraska Medical Center.
- Abstract reviewer for the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy.
- Journal of Marital and Family Therapy
- Families, Systems, & Health
Recent Professional Presentations
- American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy Annual Conference
- National Council on Family Relations Annual Conference
- Collaborative Family Healthcare Association Annual Conference
- North American Primary Care Research Group Annual Conference
- South China Normal University: Invited Presenter
Kansas All-Hazards Behavioral Health Symposium
- AMCAP Semi-Annual Conference
Swinton Counseling is also a proud sponsor of the Hale Centre Theatre.